Monday, June 22, 2009

Four States Later....

2:15 P.M. I’m driving and I’m sleepy from eating lunch. (He actually is driving, I’m just the typist.) We left at 8:00. We stopped an got an oil change. Then we drove to Rolla and found Mountain Dew in glass bottles. Then we drove to Springfield, Missouri and had too much to eat for lunch…hence the present state. Illinois should really reconsider the whole 55/65 speed limits on the Interstate. It seems much safer whenever the trucks are not moving roadblocks. I think that’s about it.

Okay, my turn.

Humorous Quote #1: “Goodbye sugar...I was talking to the cookies.” –Adam throwing away cookies so as to avoid his family eating sweets when they’re not supposed to.

We only have 88 miles until our next “turn” which is generally more of a “keep right” or “merge left” type of thing. We’re about to hit our first toll (and by about, I mean in 42 miles), which is $3.50. Lacy hasn’t slept at all in the car, so we’re hoping that will translate into her being really tired once we get to CA. She’s done well, though. She sat quietly in the car during the whole oil change…except when she barked really viciously at the dude (Manager Keith) who was around the car the whole time but she only cared about when he stood in front of it and directed us out of the garage.

George has done all right, too. He doesn’t seem to mind his carrier. Probably because it stays cooler than the rest of the car since it’s dark and insulated by all the stuff around it. He’s only peed in is his carrier once. We tried to get him to go outside, but he seems to think he’s incapable of anything other than army crawling when he’s wearing his harness and leash. We’ll keep trying.


Adam says he really wishes that life was like a video game and you could go to a garage, pay some money, and get a better car. I think that’s about it.

5:50 P.M. So Erin’s been driving and it’s a good thing. I wasn’t feeling wonderful before lunch, and lunch didn’t really settle the stomach any. So, give it a few hours on the Oklahoma Turnpike and I went searching for a plastic bag… I recalled our roadtrip to Dallas for my cousin’s wedding in ’95 when we were driving through Arkansas when I went searching for something with a bottom in it and came away with a cardboard box. The result was messy and required ice water from the coolers to get things cleaned up… Fast forward to half an hour ago, and I must say that my aim has improved drastically. With a laptop on my lap (there is no other place to stow it) I kept about 98% in the bag. Erin did a good job keeping the car on the road without throwing up herself, then we did our best to not “keep our land grand” and threw a shopping bag of Gatorade, water, and vegetables from a Panera sandwich out the window. The ‘pike never saw it coming! Quick stop at McDonalds for a sprite and a trip to the gas station for plastic bags and we’re back on the road.

So, a couple hours down the road and Adam got sick, again. Fortunatly, this time we were a little closer to an exit. I drove the remainder of the 3 or 4 hours, and now we are safely in Amarillo without any further incidents. Adam was very excited to see the trailers for almost 20 NASCAR racecars on the way including Tony Stewart’s and Kasey Kahne’s. At least he had something to keep him happy while he was feeling miserable. It was a huge relief to arrive at La Quinta after so many hours. Even Lacy was having trouble staying awake.

I took at trip down memory lane singing to Simple Plan, Rocket Summer, Gavin DeGraw, Howie Day, and Bastian to keep me awake. Now, in our second room at the hotel (the first one was very obviously not cleaned yet), we are more than ready to call it a night. This is the first time either of the animals have been in a hotel, so we’ll see how it goes.

Next stop…Lake Havasu, Arizona (although Adam’s having second thoughts about driving that far, tomorrow, so stay tuned.)

No comments:

Post a Comment