Friday, June 25, 2010

Well, this has been another long week, but it has gone by much faster than last week (if that makes any sense).  It just seems like Sunday was so long ago.  Not too much to report from last Friday.  Adam and I both had an anti-social night and stayed in to catch up on "Hell's Kitchen" (at least I think that's what we did.)  I also got to talk to my uncle Chris, who I don't hear from often, and my mom for a while.  It was a nice end to the day.

Saturday, we both slept in until about 9:30 when we were waken by a phone call from Adam's friend Bob Wilson.  They (Bob, his roommate, and his roommate's girlfriend) were heading to Ridgecrest and wanted to know if we'd be up for lunch on their way through town.  We always like when people come to visit, so we whole-heartedly took them up on the offer.  We scrambled to clean up the house before our visitors arrived and then watched "Gilmore Girls" until the momentous occasion.  (Yes, Adam does watch Gilmore Girls with me....and I'm pretty sure he enjoys it.)  We were going to take the crew to Golden Cantina.  It's one of our favorite places in Rosamond to bring visitors because it's right on the runway for the skypark, so we've yet to have a visit where we haven't seen a plane taking off or landing.  It's a pretty cool atmosphere.  Well, apparently Golden Cantina doesn't open until 4, so we headed over to Ramone's.  We've heard good things about Ramone's, so we had high hopes.  We were NOT impressed.  Adam found a large piece of plastic wrap in his enchilada, and the prices were definitely not indicative of the quality of food.  We finished off the experience with ice cream at Fosters Freeze.  We had a great time and are looking forward to the next visit.

To finish off the day, we headed into Lancaster to buy some regulation softballs to help hone our softball playing skills.  Afterwards, we headed over to Adam's friend Keith's new place.  We got the official tour (we approved :-p) and then hung out and chatted with him and his parents for a while before heading home.  We ended up renting "The Hangover" from the Red Box.  I had very low expectations from all the thing I had heard, but it actually wasn't too bad.  I thought the credits portion was a little unnecessary, but it wasn't a horrible movie (if that says anything).  

Sunday morning, we woke up "early" to have some pancakes before church.  We went to service and then did some quick grocery shopping, afterwards.  We got together a last minute softball practice that afternoon...and we're a little nervous about how badly our team might do :-p.  At least we'll have fun doing it...or something.  I think we'll need a few more practices.

Monday, I spent the day mowing the lawn and painting.  That's literally all I did, that day :-p.  Tuesday, I worked most of the day on a brochure and registration form for "Create" (the art camp we're doing at church).  My computer was not my friend, that day, so it unfortunately literally took me all day to get that worked out.

Wednesday was spent cleaning and prepping for our two nights of dinner guests.  We had our friends Will and Camille Griffin over on Wednesday for grilled teriyaki chicken.  Their packers came that day, so we thought we'd spare them another meal of restaurant food and have them over.  They head out for Monterey on Sunday, so it was also nice to have one last hurrah before they go.  We're looking forward to visiting them sometime, too.  Last was day two of dinner guests.  This time we had our "one last hurrah" with Paul and Bethany Wojotwicz and their one year old Stevie.  It's always interesting having kids over, but Stevie took to his first attempt at climbing stairs on his own (with his dad's help and supervision).  This time, we had stuffed shells, homemade french bread...and my disaster of a strawberry shortcake dessert.  You see, after spending the morning doing some more painting, I literally spent all afternoon in the kitchen...and I think I may have tried to do too many things at once because I accidentally replaced the Baking Powder with Baking Soda.  It was awful...and embarrassing, but I guess it's a mistake I won't be making again anytime soon.  At least the shells and bread turned out good and made up for the disaster of a dessert.  

I've kept myself pretty busy today, as well.  After a small breakfast, I spent the morning painting, again.  I've decided that small doses of this might be the best way to get this done without burnout.  If I haven't already mentioned this to you, our walls have AWFUL texture.  It's fine once it's painted and everything, but it is so deep that the most effective way I've found to paint it is with a brush...which obviously takes longer.  When I tried the roller, it didn't get into all the divots, etc. and I had to use the brush for touch-ups, anyway.  Even with the brush, there's still a few spots that I have to go back and touch up, but far less than with the roller.  The painting is coming along, though.  And while it's going to be a long ongoing process, I think it's going to be nice when it's all done.  I stopped painting at noon and took to making a few phone calls, typing this, doing some laundry, and working on dishes from the last couple nights.  This evening, we're joining Matt and Dania Rottman at church to clean.  Hopefully that won't take too long and we'll have the evening to relax.  And with that, I'm off to be productive to help reach that relaxation goal.  TTFN.


No comments:

Post a Comment