Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Whirlwind Continues

 Things haven't gotten any less crazy since the last time I wrote in here.  I filled any "free" time that I've had with so many things that this journal was pretty much not on my mind.  However, in the past few days, now that things have "calmed down" (I've learned that this phrase is pretty much relative) I've been thinking about those of you that I know read this faithfully and decided it was time to try and reinstate posts into my routine.  (Try being the operative word there.)


As anyone who reads this probably already knows, we now live in our very own awesome house in Rosamond, CA.  While the desert wasn't my dream place to be...it is really nice to have something that is our own that we can do whatever we want with.  Noah's brother Adam, along with several of our friends here, helped us move from the rental house to the new one in a matter of days.  It has helped tremendously in feeling settled here to know that, unlike the last 10 years or so of my life, we won't be moving for a very long time.   In case you missed it on Facebook, here's the video of our house (pre-painting and decoration).  





Strangely enough, it has also helped me strengthen my friendship base by moving to the neighborhood that all my friends, both old and new, seem to live in.  I found it kind of amusing that moving a mere mile closer to said people changed things, but it's nice to have more people within walking distance.  It's also nice to have more people around now that Adam's work hours are picking up.  I definitely appreciate the company, and Adam appreciates that the majority of my non-working friends are also new moms, so I can get my baby fix.


And between all this moving, decorating, painting, and building relationships craziness, we've also somehow crammed in quite a bit of traveling.  In the past couple months, Adam's been gone to Texas and Seattle for work.  While the being away from each other part isn't always that thrilling for either of us, Adam saw some awesome sights (waterfalls, cool bridges, rodeos, etc) that made his trips more worthwhile.  I also had the rare opportunity to travel a couple times in such a short amount of time, myself.  At the end of April, I traveled to Los Vegas to meet up with my grandparents for my Great Uncle Ross' memorial service.  While the circumstances were obviously not the best, it was really nice to spend a few days with them and to explore Las Vegas.  I also had the opportunity to meet a sect of the family that I didn't know before and learn a little more about my dad and my family.  (Side note: Does anyone else find it strange that my dad's cousin Jan met a rocket scientist getting his degree at U of I and proceeded to get married in Champaign by a CCF minister?) 


A couple weeks after getting back from Las Vegas, I traveled again, this time to Illinois for my little brothers U of I graduation.  I had originally padded the trip with a few days on either side to spend in Bloomington and Champaign visiting my friends, but my mom had to have some pretty intensive shoulder surgery, so I rerouted my trip and stayed with her to help as much as I could and drive her around.  Though my stay was short (especially in Champaign), I managed to cram in visits with many people (including Chris, Kelli, Andy, Maggie, and Ben Johnson, Jo, Ethan, and Emily Ramirez, Keith Brooks, Ben, Crystal, Ezra, and Calla Woods, Molly Sandgren, my father-in-law, Dan and Nola Compton (who graciously let my mom and I stay with them), Sam and Jessica Davis, Will and Mary Kuester, Cheyenne Green, Shannon Carter, and several of my brother's and mom's friends that I hadn't seen in a while.)  It was definitely a crazy trip, but it was good and refreshing to see familiar faces.  I'm very proud of my little brother and was really grateful to be able to be there with him, my family, and my grandparents to watch him graduate and celebrate with him and his friends.


About a week after I got back from IL, Adam's parents and sister came to visit us.  Needless to say, those several days in between were spent frantically getting the house in presentable shape since we had both been really busy leading up to that.  We had a great time visiting with them and got to do a lot of cool stuff.  I really enjoy company 'cause I get to spend the week doing fun stuff and not feeling guilty about it :).  Adam was at work all week (other than the Monday they were here, since it was Memorial Day) so I was charged with the entertainment.  In the week they were here, we managed to introduce the fam to The Well, dine at Gordon Ramsey at the London Hotel in Hollywood (definitely intimidating eating at a fine dining restaurant, but a great experience to share), cook out at the Lucas' for Memorial Day, hike in the mountains several times, explore the local Walmart and JC Penney, buy and install two ceiling fans, eat at Fosters Freeze, pick Lauren (Adam's cousin) up from the airport, dine at Bubba Gump Shrimp, travel Highway 1 along the Pacific Ocean, drive through the mountains, eat at Rubio's for our church's fundraiser, go to the Cat House Exotic Cat Conservatory, have drinks at Golden Cantina, and travel to Avalon on Catalina Island for the day to celebrate Adam's cousin Danny's wedding.  They left this past Sunday, and while we were sad to see them go, I think it's safe to say that we were all pretty wiped out.


Adam and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary this Sunday.  We had an awesome day together.  We spent the morning at The Well with our church family.  After some quick grocery shopping for our anniversary dinner, we went home, made some lunch, and watched "The Blindside."  Since that took up most of the afternoon, Adam set to work making dinner soon after that.  We had my favorite, linguini with white wine clam sauce.  It was delicious...and accompanied but watching our wedding video for the first time together.  We loved being able to experience that again, and being reminded of our vows and the touching things people said to and about us.  I couldn't think of anything I would've rather done together.  


Since then, most of our free time has been spent cleaning up the mess we accumulated over the week and catching up on laundry and dishes.  I'm still a little wiped out, to be honest.  While the family was here, they woke up a good hour or two before I'm used to most days (because of the time change).  My body just now started sleeping in and not waking up consistently earlier than I wanted to.  I guess it's given me a couple more hours to get things done, but it also makes me a couple hours more tired when Adam gets home.  I'll do my best to catch up on that in the next week :-p.  
.  
Well, that, in a nutshell, is what you missed.  I'll do my best to try and write more often...at least about the "important" things.  Like always, we miss you all a lot.  We think of you often and would love to see and hear from you anytime you have the chance.  Take care and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment