Friday, June 26, 2009

Another Day...a lot of dollars...

Adam and I had our first outing together, today...meaning we left the dog at home. I'm not sure how she did, since we weren't here, but having a house made it a little easier to leave knowing she might bark since we're not sharing walls with anyone for the first time in a long time. It's kind of ironic because she doesn't like it when we leave, but the majority of the time we've been here, she goes upstairs and sleeps by herself.

In anycase, back to the outing. We had a couple goals in mind...to purchase a bed, mattress, shelf liner (the non-sticky kind!), and some cat supplies. We accomplished all of the above. We found a bed fairly quickly, though not at the first place we stopped. Our first attempt was at a place called "4 Day Mattress". We're not sure why, nor did we ask Woody, our salesman. He was a little shady and gave us deals that only got worse with the more stuff we said we wanted to buy....which seemed a bit backwards. That and he wasn't going to be able to get us our stuff in any less than 2 weeks. Not to mention the fact that he wouldn't really tell us the brandname of the mattress we were looking at...but said, in his opinion, it's the best on the market, even in comparison to brand names. To his credit, though...he REALLY wanted to make a sale.

We ended up going to a place called A Royal Suite...which Adam will tell you I initially thought was somewhat shady looking from the outside, but I felt a lot more at ease once we got inside...and talked to someone who knew what she was talking about...and sold national brand stuff. She also gave us free delivery, sale price, and took off the sales tax, so we ended up getting a pretty good deal....AND...we'll have our bed next Friday.

We also made a stop by the rental office to turn in our observation sheet of things around the house. Adam reminded me a lot of my dad in that endeavor. He made a very detailed list, but also took pictures of every listed item and burned them onto a CD that he dropped off with the list. It was very thorough. Not to sound horribly sappy, but rather to clarify...I am not saying any of this mockingly...I actually very much enjoy the moments that I see my dad in him. It makes me feel more at ease and at home having someone like that with me.

Once we got home from our travels (mostly money spending), we had lunch and did some more shopping online with giftcards (THANK YOU :)) to do some registry completion. I'm excited to get more boxes in the mail soon! Speaking of boxes, we also spent some time unpacking kitchen items, today, too. Adam's been working diligently putting down the shelf liners so we can actually put stuff away. He also started our first load of dishes in our dishwasher (another new concept to both of us). Because I've gotten a few requests for pictures of the house, though it's in no real condition to take them, I decided to journal what it looks like now to tide you over. I hope this suffices for now:

The kitchen after, believe it or not, I started to clean it up and then thought I should take pictures.
The damage in our garage...which is gradually getting smaller.
The living room, for now. We hope to get a different couch...eventually...and like i said, the design of this room is a little odd, so let's just call it a work in progress.


We watched a documentary on bio-engineering of plant genes, tonight, on Hulu. It was fairly gloom and doom in nature, and made me feel horribly guilty for not buying organically and locally...but I'm pretty susceptible to propaganda, at times, too. It did make some convincing arguments, though. Adam's pretty eager to help out local economy when he can, and I like helping out people...so we might try to do more local shopping when we can. I found out there's a farmers market at a local winery on saturdays, so we might go check that out.

One final note...it's now amusing to me to hear my friend and family in the mid-west talk about how hot it is. We have a high of 100-105 this weekend, depending on where you get your info. I learned really quickly how much of a factor humidity plays. It takes a lot more to be miserable when there's no moisture in the air...which I'm glad for...but make it more entertaining to hear that the high 80's and 90's are hot. Enjoy your humidity...that's one thing I DON'T miss!

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment