Thursday, June 25, 2009

Finally...

This is the first official post with our own internet connection. It's been a long, very productive day. We woke up at about 8 (note: from now own, all times will be in pacific :)) and started cleaning and going through the house. The gas man came at 8:30 (Lacy LOVED that...not). Then we cleaned until 1, when the truck came. It took us about an hour and a half to get everything unloaded. It definitely made us appreciate having so many friends back home that helped us pack...THANKS! (though an hour and a half by ourselves isn't too shabby, if I do say so, myself.) After that, we cleaned a little more and then I got ansy to have our internet set up. Adam set up his computer and dealt with the internet company and I set up the entertainment center, Wii, TV, DVD player, and brought in the bed as my thanks for him doing that :).

The first thing I found out when I got online was about Michael Jackson's death. It's weird...and hard to believe. I'm not devastated...just a little shocked. I guess it was going to happen sometime.

Here's some leftover pictures of the drive. Pictures of the house will be on their way once we get more things set up and have more time.



Things are going well here, but we miss our friends at home. We'll have our first visitor Sunday. Adam's friend Bob is coming by to have dinner. He lives in L.A., so it's not a HUGE drive, but it'll be good to see a familiar face. I'm a little nervous about how we'll fit into the neighborhood. It seems like everyone has rims on their cars, despite what kind they are. We did see a lot more neighbors out, today, though. We said hi to the family across the street (from our truck across the street) when they came home. I told Adam that once the T.V. and internet were set up it would seem less lonely, and he thought that was weird, but I'm hoping that, once things are more settled in, I'll have more courage to just seek out the neighbors on my own without waiting for us to run into each other.

Lacy and George are doing fine. There's
an alcove by our stairs that George likes to hang out on and feel cool. Lacy seems to be doing better now that we've been in the same place for more than a day. We have gardeners, which means the grass is actually pretty green. I kinda wonder how often they mow. It doesn't seem like you'd have to do that much in the desert...but I guess we do have sprinklers. Too bad we have to pay for that water.

The house is nice. It's a lot nicer than other places we've lived in our single lives, but not completely what we expected. It has a som
ewhat confusing layout and isn't as big as we thought it was from the pictures. The walls are kinda thin and you can hear a lot of outside noise. There's definitely things we would change about it, and even after I said I was never moving again so we'd have to just convince the owner to sell the place to us :-p, I don't think we'd consider buying this house. It's actually a pre-fab, which we didn't know, and there's several in the neighborhood that look very similar. It's nice, though, and we'll make it our home for a while. It's starting to feel more comfortable now that things are getting put into place.

A couple important things I've learned today:
-I HATE self-adhering shelf liner...and it's a pain in the rear to get off.
-It's true that dry heat is far more bearable than the humidity of the mid-west. Don't believe me? Come find out for yourself :).

Well, that's about it for now. We're going to get cleaned up and watch a movie...now that we can actually do that sort of thing. Thanks to everyone who's checked in. It means a lot that you're thinking about us. Feel free to leave comments ;). Talk at ya soon!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're there safely! I can't wait to see pictures of the house!

    ReplyDelete