Monday, July 6, 2009

One month later...

I almost forgot to update this, today...I know that would be a travesty :-p. Today was a big day for us. It was our one month-iversary...which wasn't that big of a deal :-p...but more importantly, Adam's first day of work (which I'll let him tell you about.)

My first day at home was nothing too exciting. It'll be hard to get used to...and I didn't really know where to start with the time filling. It wasn't that there's not anything to do, but moreso I didn't know WHAT to do. We woke up at 6, which I have not done in a long time. Once Adam got off to work, I went on Facebook for a while...the universal time killer. After spending too much time on there doing nothing...I uploaded all the wedding and honeymoon pictures. In case you're not on Facebook, here's a link to some (and by some, I mean about 825) wedding pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Album one:
http://picasaweb.google.com/erincarrot/WeddingPhotosByMattDifanis?authkey=Gv1sRgCMjQ9aGDrIXqpgE#

Album two: http://picasaweb.google.com/erincarrot/WeddingPhotosByMattDifanisPart2?authkey=Gv1sRgCJbB3NGIzeX8fA#

Once, I was done with Facebook for a while, I conquered Wii. Adam wanted me to try and get to Pro level in tennis...and I did in just one short series. After doing that, I ate some lunch of salami and cornbread. I unpacked a couple more boxes and probably checked the mail about 4 times. After Adam called at lunch time, I started wedding thank yous (don't expect them for a while...that could be a full time job in itself :)). Adam came home early...which he texted me and told me he was going to do, but my phone was in the garage, so I had no idea. After a short nap and some sloppy joes for dinner, we watched some Arrested Development, Adam read up on insurance plans, I played more Wii and Bejeweled, and here we are.

Now to answer your more pressing question (you're probably more interested in Adam's day :))...How was Adam's first day of work, and what exactly is he going to be doing?

So I showed up at 0745 and sat around until 0800. Then we (I and the other new hires) started filling out some of the paperwork W4, I9, Direct Deposit, CA state taxes, signed a bunch of papers, got finger printed, stood up and pledged allegiance to the Constitution (which we as a group did very well), signed 2 more important papers, watched a corny yet informative movie on health ins., life ins., and retirement, listened to a lady speed through a bunch of benefit related things, then left to report to our supervisors.

My supervisor said to drive around, get to know the base, and eat lunch. So I drove around, ate my lunch, stopped at Starbucks because I was bored, went to the base library to use the internet and showed up to my supervisor at 1. The other new person that he had come in today had already been in industry, so he took the afternoon to get her up to speed since she should take less time. I found out I'd be working on the Joint Strike Fighter ( http://www.jsf.mil/ ). I went with a sort of boss and she showed me some of the things in the JSF hangar. The planes won't be delivered until later so there will be enough time to learn a little about the job before they show up. It should be interesting doing this since there are a lot of countries and the other branches with their hands in the JSF cookie jar. We also drove around to other parts of the base and looked at the NASA area. We saw 2 (or both, I don't know) of NASA's 747s for carrying the shuttles around and they had a handful of F22's out. There wasn't much flying going on though.

Another day tomorrow, and I'll get a desk.

See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment